The companies participating in the SaarIng programme have made a clear committment. By establishing a contractual relationship between all three parties – the respective company, you and the htw saar – you will find yourself in an adequate work environment and receive a monthly salary, that covers your cost of living.


The cost of living in Germany basically consist of:

  • Living:

Normally, living in a shared flat (in German: Wohngemeinschaft) is the most economic way of living, but also small single-room apartments are available at adequate rates.  

If you wish to get a general overview of the possibilities of living in the area, you do best in visiting one of the most prominent sites in Germany for flat-hunting: We will support you in flat-hunting, if required.

  • Food, drugstore items, etc.

Buying food in Germany is most probably (slightly) more expensive than in Spain (depending on the area you live in). You will know about supermarkets like ALDI and LIDL, but they are not the one and only possibility of living at reduced costs. Concerning drugstore items, German drugstore chains like dm or Rossmann offer all kinds of household products etc. at moderate prices.

  • Health insurance:

Students from an EU or EFTA member state must provide an EHIC chip card (European Health Insurance Card) as proof that they are insured in their home country. Germany has a two-tiered (public and private) health insurance system. For an explanation of the German health insurance system in English see:

1A Verbraucherportal

For students, the system of public health insurances applies (Public health insurance  = Gesetzliche Krankenkassen). Public health insurances in Germany are obliged to offer health insurance at a rate that is fixed by law, and the same amount irrespective of which public health insurance you chose. Equally, the scope of the coverage is fixed by law, and for 90% identical between the public health insurances. There are more than one hundred different public health insurances in Germany. You are free to choose any public health insurance that offers health insurance in the state of Saarland (with the exception of some of the employer-linked “Betriebskrankenkassen”= BKK’s).

Don’t worry, once you’ve arrived to Saarbrücken we help you in finding the right health insurance for you!

  • Administrative procedures, bank account, public transport etc.:

 Administrative procedures for obtaining a residence permit in a foreign country with a foreign language can be quite complicated. To clear this hurdle we support you in every step of all these necessary procedures, accompany you to important appointments, etc.

Most important are the following steps we go through with you (if desired):

  • registration for residency and to become a student of htw saar
  • applying for a taxation ID number
  • opening a bank account.

As a registered student you pay only a small amount of taxes and you hold a student ID card that entitles you to use all local and regional public transport services within the state of Saarland for free. The mandatory semester fee enables this service for all students.

More information about work permit and EU blue card in Germany:

Contact persons:

Prof. Dr. Stefanie Jensen
Carsta Arnold
Margit Kunz

htw saar
Waldhausweg 14
66123 Saarbrücken


Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft
des Saarlandes
Goebenstraße 40
66117 Saarbrücken

Telefon: (0681) 58 67 - 0
Telefax: (0681) 58 67 - 122

Ministerium der Finanzen und für Wissenschaft des Saarlandes

Folge uns